As promised (for those of you who follow me on Twitter) here is my recipe for carrot cake. Actually, PRIZE- WINNING carrot cake, because this cake won a rosette at a Shotgun and Chelsea Bun Club event last weekend.
When I have made cake with gluten free flour before it has been a bit disgusting; really dry and with a weird texture. I used to bake all the time (ask anyone who worked with me at the veterinary centre) and so this discovery was a little upsetting. Anyway I found a recipe online and adapted it to my needs. It would obviously work with wheat flour too, just use a little bit more/cut back on the butter and carrot, as gluten- free flour needs more moisture than normal flour.
The measures are in mugs because my housemate doesn’t have a set of scales (he’s a man and not the baking kind) and I bought a set and never bought batteries to go with them. The mug I used was a standard coffee mug. The cake tin was a normal cake tin.
For the sponge:
2 mugs gluten- free flour (I used Doves Farm Self- Raising)
1 mug white sugar
1 mug brown sugar
1.5 mugs butter
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1.5 mugs grated carrot (the ones I used were rather, er, ripe)
For the cream cheese icing:
1 pot Philadelphia
4 tsbp butter
Icing sugar: roughly 2 mugs but adjust to required thickness
- Preheat the oven to around 190 celsius. I have never cooked cakes in an Aga as our at home is about fifty and can’t be trusted, so this recipe is for an oven (if you have a student house with an Aga I HATE YOU).
- Mix together the sugar and the butter until thoroughly er, mixed.
- Add the eggs and mix together.
- Tip in the grated carrot and give it a good stir.
- Sieve in the flour and cinnamon and add the vanilla essence. Mix until a cake batter forms.
- Slap the mixture into cake tins and bake until the top springs back when lightly pressed.
- Put the cake aside to cool while you make the icing.
- Icing: stir together the cream cheese and butter.
- Sieve in the icing sugar bit by bit. Routinely check the taste and consistency.
- Once the sponge is cold stick the two halves together with the icing and add a layer on top.
- Garnish with walnuts if you like that sort of thing.
- Eat it all.